Thursday, February 27, 2014

Happy Birthday my Sweet Girl!

16 years ago today, my life forever changed when I became an aunt for the first time. At a little over 9 lbs, she looked like the incredible hulk in the nursery window. All it took was a first glimpse and I was madly in love with the sweet baby we called Paige. I was all of 14 years old – and I don’t think at 14 I even knew I was capable of the love I felt for that girl.  


I was with that child almost every day of her life for the first few years, and that’s no exaggeration. She stayed at our house during the day & into the night when my sister worked with my dad, so I raced off the bus each day to get in the house and get my Paige time in. On the days my sister wasn’t at our house, I was riding my bike in the winter to see my baby, and every Tuesday & Thursday, I spent the night at my sisters so they could go out. (Not to mention, she was all of 3 days old when my sister called me and said, “Do you want to come spend the night and watch Paige for me?”) 


All of this led to a bond I wouldn’t give up for the world. I wanted her attached to my hip growing up, and I got exactly what I wanted. I was more than the doting aunt, I made every attempt to be the best aunt she could ever ask for. She knew if Mom said “No” to a toy, Aunt Nicole was going to say “Yes!” – and she still knows that today. And not only did I want to spoil her, I wanted to be there for her. From first day of preschool to school programs –  I made every effort imaginable to be there. When I moved away super briefly, I ended right back here because at the end of the day, being away from the kids – especially during their formative years – wasn’t something I enjoyed.


I know people love to tell me “when you have your own children, it won’t be the same as your niece and nephew”. No, I don’t have kids. (And I think we’ve already established that I don’t want them.) So you can try to tell me this (but please don’t, I really hate your unrequested advice), but I promise you: There will never be two people in the world that I love more than these two kids. Period. These kids not only taught me how to love, they brought out the best in me. I excel every day because I’m an influence in their life, and I want them to reach their fullest potential.


Happy Sweet 16 Paige! I wouldn’t trade being your aunt for anything in the world!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment