Friday, October 26, 2012

and isn't it ironic...

A really bad camera phone shot :P

Back in August I happened to spot the Ryman tweet that Alanis Morissette was coming in October. I grew up with my love for country, but I also had a big sister that I followed around like a puppy who had wildly different tastes in music. She bought "Jagged Little Pill" in 95 when it came out, which meant I listened to it a million times with her, eventually having her get me my own copy. I was 12, and I couldn't get enough of that CD (eh, wait, I think it was a tape then.....sigh.), although I'm sure there were a few songs my parents weren't overly thrilled their 12 year old was singing along to. There wasn't any teenage girl in my class who didn't love that record - I think most girls in the 90's got through their teenage angst thanks to Jagged Little Pill. 

Not having seen her before, I thought it would be a great show -- with her amazing chops, I knew she would just sound fabulous in the Ryman. So I bought tickets and asked my sister to come with me - who jumped at the chance! (Side note that my sister doesn't get out to concerts often -- and this year I've gotten her to see Bonnie Raitt AND Alanis with me!)

Buying those tickets was a smart move - the show tonight was beyond fabulous. Alanis knows what a crazy popular record "Pill" was - and did 8 of the 13 songs on the record. She opened up with a new song - but the second song was "All I Really Want", and the split second she started the harmonica, the crowd went in-freaking-sane. Every song from Pill was an instant crazy loud singalong throughout the entire building. And she didn't limit it to just singles from the record - random tracks like "Not the Doctor" and "Right Through You" were in the set! 

My fave was always "Ironic" (and who doesn't remember the video to Ironic?!), which ended up being one of THE loudest sing alongs of the night. It was fabulous to hear it live -- but I must admit the highlight was "Uninvited" - she got partially through this and I looked over at Samantha and said "Holy shit, this girl can sing!' The crowd ate it up --- especially when she stepped to the side and started doing some crazy head banging to the instrumental part of the song!

There was only ONE song that I had been hoping soooo badly to hear and she didn't do it. Remember when you listened to 'Pill', and discovered the hidden track after 'You Oughta Know'? I heard she did the hidden track a couple weeks ago for her encore, and I had my fingers crossed, but she didn't do it at our show. I would kill to hear that live! 

And I'll close with the video for Ironic for old school sake....





No comments:

Post a Comment