Monday, September 9, 2013

Recapping the Birthday Week....

It has been a crazy busy week to start September! It's definitely almost the Holiday season -- photo sessions & print orders like crazy!

First and foremost, I was just reading about the new Idol judges. Can we please just let this show die now?  I mean, I love staring at Keith Urban all day long, but I couldn't watch the full season last year. It's boring now. It's run its course. And, it's more about the judges than it is the contestants now.

Moving on.....on the 29th, Larry and I went to Zanies to see Sherri Shepherd.  This girl was beyond hysterical. It was fabulous stand up, and some great jokes/stories from co-hosting The View. What's really interesting about her set is she's not vulgar. I mean, look - I'm not a prude or anything, I cuss like a sailor and I'm hardly offended by much - but it seems like it's rare these days to find a great comedian that can do it all without needing vulgarity. And she nailed it. Because of the hot mess Miley was at the VMA's, Sherri had fabulous opening material! She was also super super sweet!


Labor Day Weekend made for two weekends in a row the bestie & I had big plans!  And actually, we made our plans to see Loretta Lynn & Merle Haggard way before anything else - I bought the tickets the first week in March for these shows! I'm not sure how our hearts were able to handle seeing them both in the same weekend! LOVE these two - and see Loretta quite often, but have only had the chance to see Merle once before, so we were fully planning on possible freak outs over the weekend!

Being the good daughter, I bought my mom a ticket to the Loretta show too since she never goes, and loves Loretta. She and Rita had never been to Loretta's ranch before, so I played tour guide and we went early to let them explore the Plantation Home & the Museum. Loretta's plantation home is serious country music history, and it's where she filmed the Crisco commercials! I was super fortunate a few years ago, and a friend of mine asked me to do Promo photos for her. She happened to be Loretta's granddaughter, so we shot all her pictures on the ranch, including the interior of the home, so I had the chance to explore it in a little more detail & see the upstairs --- what a thrill!

Anyway, we spent some time exploring the grounds:
I bought this shot glass...is this not the most clever thing ever?! We came home a drinkin' too, because we just had to break in the glasses, so we did shots of vodka when we got back to the house.

with the bestie, my concert partner in crime! 

And then we saw Loretta in concert. I love this lady..a true National Treasure. One of my favorite things about her show is her intro - her band does a line from Coal Miner's Daughter, and then introduces her by saying all her accomplishments, including being one of the first performers to have a motion picture made about her life.

It should totally be mentioned that she broke a few ribs before she came out - seriously. And she still came out and performed a show --- and we seriously never knew that she had hurt herself until she mentioned it to us. The only bad part about the show was the lighting techs were TERRIBLE! Part of the night, they didn't even turn on one of the lights on her face. She had to step out a bit to have all the lights on her.



The real deal folks. You haven't seen country music live until you're seen Loretta Lynn - true story. You have to go see her as soon as possible! 

I bought the package deal for our seats, so we had the exact same seats both nights

so we sat in 5th row each night. 5 rows away from Loretta Lynn and Merle Haggard.



We asked multiple times Sunday night if this was real life. Merle. Freaking. Haggard standing right in front of us. We may or may not have cried ;) So amazing. And although some of this was a drunk crowd, which I usually hate, everyone there had a genuine love for real country music -- not a person in the audience didn't sing along. And not just the big ones they wanted you to sing along & flashed the lights on the audience for like "Mama Tried" -- you could hear the audience so clearly in gems like "Silver Wings" (which happens to be my 2nd fave Merle song!)

It was incredible. And a hell of a way to cap my birthday week!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment